Music to give birth

I'm putting together a mix for my iPod of "relaxing" songs to distract me from the fact that I'm trying to squeeze a human being through my pelvis. A show on the Discovery Channel said, and I quote, "Squeezing a head through the birth canal is like forcing a softball down your throat." FUN! If anytime called for relaxing music, I believe it would be this time.

Another fun quote from that show: "Contractions are the monumental effort of muscles never tested before." Awesome.

So far, I have over 70 songs, or more than 5.5 hours of music. As per my musical tastes, the playlist is varied. Some featured artists include U2, Stevie Wonder, Norah Jones, Neko Case, Minnie Riperton, Micheal Jackson, Spearhead, Pearl Jam, Etta James, Gil Scott-Heron, Elbow, Chicago, Bill Withers, Erykah Badu & Alicia Keys.

Some songs are a tribute to some of my loved ones who aren't here to share this moment with me. First for my father, I included a song he sang to me when I was little (Gil Scott-Heron's beautiful "Your Daddy Loves You"). I downloaded this song the day he passed away and every time I hear it, I feel him close to me. There are 4 other Heron songs which are equally beautiful and remind me of my father.

Second for Neffi. The week before she passed away, I bought Alicia Keys' album "As I Am." Whenever I hear the track "I Need You," I can feel her near me as well.

Not all the songs evoke sad memories of loved ones that are no longer with us.


My first real craving during my pregnancy was for Bob Marley. I of course have some Marley in the mix - Buffalo Soldier was one that baby always moved too. I'm hoping hearing this song will get him to move down & out of my belly. :)

I've got "Faithfully" by Journey (of course there's a Journey song!) which I sang to Dean at karaoke one night.
Come to think of it, I'm going to have to find "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison. Dean & I danced to this song the first night we met.

"Every Single Soul" by Michael Franti & Spearhead which is one of my favorite songs. I used to go to their shows in the early 2000's and during this song, Michael says "Let me show you something beautiful!" just before picking a woman out of the crowd to come onto the stages and dance with him. One night, I got pulled onto the stage! Ah... THAT is a happy, happy memory.

Wouldn't it be so great if 5.5 hours of music was all I needed!!!

Comments

  1. I love Journey! Awesome playlist...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts