Ma'am. You really should have taken the window seat.

Dean & I flew home from Miami today.  I was in on the aisle for the Ft. Lauderdale to Cincinnati leg of the trip.  From Cincinnati to Seattle, I was stuck in the middle.  Actually, Dean had the middle seat, but since I knew I would have to go to the bathroom every hour or so, I gave him a break and let him get the inside.  I also thought that I should offer up his seat to whoever was sitting on the aisle just to be nice.

The woman that sat next to me was larger, but seemed nice enough.  She got settled & I politely asked her if she'd like the window.  I cautioned that I would be getting up frequently during the flight.  She said, "No, I get up a lot too."  I said "Okay" but knew that I'd be bugging her way more times than she would bug me.

40 minutes into the flight...

Me:  (sheepishly) Excuse me, I have to get up.
Her:  (smiling) No problem!
Rather than getting up, however, she hugs her bag closer to her & shifts her legs out into the aisle.  Did I mention she was larger?  The 6" she left for me I had no hope of getting through, but I mentally thanked her for thinking I was that small.  (THANKS!).

Me:  (sheepishly shrugging shoulders) I'm sorry it looks like you'll actually have to get up
Her:  (with great fanfare & even greater eff0rt) Oh!  Okay!  (heaves, hos seemingly put out but accommodating)
Me:  (grateful) Thank you so much!

40 minutes later...
Me:  Sorry
Her:  (with great fanfare & even greater eff0rt) Oh!  Okay!  (heaves, hos seemingly put out but accommodating)
Me:  (grateful) Thank you so much!

40 minutes later...
Me:  Sorry
Her:  (with great eff0rt) No problem.  (frustration starts to seep in to the response)
Me:  (grateful) Thank you so much!
Her:  Well, I have to go to...  
So I follow her down the aisle & wait while she goes first.  Nice.

40 minutes later...
Me:  One more time....
Her:  (confused) Sure. 
Me:  (grateful) Thank you so much!
NOTE!  She actually took someone else's seat.  A husband & wife was sitting in the next row over & had reserved the 2 aisle seats.  She was supposed to be in the middle seat across the aisle.  Whether she really got confused or purposefully sat in the wrong seat because she really didn't want the middle seat, noone will know (but her).  At this point, though, she clearly wished she had been confused about the wrong seat.

30 minutes later...  just before the flight lands
Me:  I better go one last time
Her:  (clearly exasperated) Ok.  (looks at me like I'm a nut as I scoot down the aisle)
Me:  (grateful) Thank you so much!

I peed 5 times on a 4.5 hour flight.  She got up twice.  Good times.

I think these type of situations will be easier once I am showing a bit more.  She must have thought I was a nut - a nut that has to pee way more times than any human should.  No, ma'am, I'm just pregnant.

Let this be a cautionary tale.  It's important to remember to get the aisle seats at the time of reservation when you're pregnant.  You will have to get up A LOT.  

Comments

Popular Posts