Broccoli. We need to talk. It's not you... it's me.

Broccoli has always been my go-to vegetable. It tastes great steamed & stir-fried (my 2 go-to cooking styles). It tastes great with beef, chicken, fish, other veggies, & tofu. It even tastes great raw. I love Broccoli.

Since I became pregnant, however, broccoli gives me gas. There's just no gas like pregnancy gas.

Your body isn't digesting food at it's normal rate anyway. Everything stays in longer & moves slower through your system... hence the eating for 2, though it's really like you're digesting for 2 so don't be in a hurry to purge or eat anything too heavy because it will be with you for a long time.

With the slow digestion, anything that gives you gas makes you feel bloated (for one thing) and like you have to poop (for another). While you'd be happy for gas to relieve the pressure on your belly... it doesn't come. You're just stuck feeling bloated & miserable.

For Dean's first Father's Day, I made sesame seared scallops with Chinese broccoli and brown rice. The broccoli was so good and I ate more than my share (eating for 2!!). Not 5 minutes later, I felt as if my belly was expanding in a very uncomfortable way. I was somewhere between pooping & farting (sorry) but knew that neither was going to happen. No... no measurable gas passed... I just felt miserable for 3 hours until I went to bed.

So... in addition to the things I'm not allowed to eat for the health of the baby, I'm adding broccoli to the list for my own sanity purposes.

Therefore, ISO new go-to vegetable & am taking recommendations!

Comments

Popular Posts