Practicality vs. Vanity

I drive a BEAUTIFUL convertible Saab 93 Aero.












This is my 2nd Saab & I love driving it.  LOVE DRIVING IT.  It's more car than I wanted to drive, but during a test drive, 2 guys saw me in the car, stopped their conversation & stared as I drove by & continued to stare as I rounded a corner & drove out of site.  Awesome.  I felt beautiful in the car and seriously LOVE driving it.  Seriously.

My beautiful car, however, is not child friendly:
  1. No car seat adaptors.  'nuff said
  2. No storage.  For a convertible, it has more storage than most, but not nearly enough for future Costco runs and stroller storage.
  3. 2-doors.  Even if there was a child seat adaptor in the back seat, how the heck was I going to get the baby back there?  The easiest thing to do would be to put the top down, put the kid in, put the top back up.  Too much work.
Plus!  During last December's snow & ice storms, I put the car in the car port & drove Dean's Ford Explorer.  The convertible is definitely a sunny weather car only.  For baby, we need 2 all wheel drive cars.

On Sunday, I found two cars on a used car lot in Bellevue that sold Saabs.  The ad that actually attracted me to the dealership was for a 2005 Mercedes-Benz C240 for $12,995.  The Benz is BEAUTIFUL & has AWD and potentially had car seat adaptors,

















I also required a sunroof and it had that too.  Behind the wheel of the Benz, I felt that vanity rise.  This was a beautiful car and I was beautiful in it.  A beautiful mom-to-be in her beautiful car.  Check me out boys!!

The Benz also has over 83,000 miles on it.  Hmm...

Just for fun, I drove the station wagon also.  Surprisingly, the Volvo drove the same as the Benz!  The comfort level was higher, but I definitely was not getting any double takes.

















The Benz fed my vanity & the Volvo fed my practicality.  What should I do?  So, I called  my younger brother who very wisely said:
"Alicia, weren't you already vain with the Saab convertible?  It's time for you to be practical."

Damn.

Today, I'm buying a Volvo station wagon.  When Lomax turns 16, I will get my Benz!
Thanks Marq for talking me off the ledge!

So long Saab!

Comments

Popular Posts