C-O-N-T-R-A-C-T-I-O-N-S!

At our last OB visit, the doctor asked me if I had experienced any contractions.  I said I didn't think so.  In retrospect, never having had contractions, I had no idea what one would feel like.  The doctor didn't go into any detail on what it would feel like & to be fair I didn't ask.

Since then, I've experienced contractions.  Ouch.

The first time, I thought I had to go to the bathroom.  It felt like I had to poo really, really badly.  Like the lower half of my body was full, didn't like it and was making me pay for a lack of urgency (though before this moment, I didn't really have to go).  I made it to the bathroom, did my business and didn't think much more of it.

A few days later, I was on the phone with Dean & got the same feeling.  I again thought it was just me having to go to the bathroom but this time, the feeling radiated around my belly - as if someone had one of those cross-stitch hoops around my belly & began tightening it.  I got off the phone with Dean & went to the bathroom.  Business accomplished but I started wondering if that was really what was going on.

Then last night - I get home and head to bed.  I start out on my back, but feel a little heartburn, so I turn onto my left side.  The nausea doesn't really go away and I can't get comfortable on my left side.  My shorts feel bunchy, my shirt feels tight, my stomach is aching, my back hurts a little.  So, I roll to by back, but the nausea really rises so I roll to my right.  Baby doesn't like it when I'm on my right side, so he starts to thump and tumble.  Though the right side feels better, I can't relax if I imagine baby is uncomfortable, so I roll back to my left side.

All of the uncomfortable feelings return with a vengeance plus the cross-stitch hoop tightening.  OHMYGOSHTHISISACONTRACTION!

I roll myself out of bed & start trying to breath (upon noticing that not only am I having a contraction, but it hurts, I think I stopped breathing).  Every muscle in my body is tense so, along with deep breaths, I try to focus on each muscle & will them to relax.  I lean up against the closet doors in the bed room, my body cocked at a 145 degree angle - right arm on the wall with my head against my forearm and my left hand massaging my belly.  This isn't helping so I push off the wall & start to walk around.  I meander around the condo & immediately wish the place were bigger.

I remember thinking "shouldn't this last only about 30 seconds?" so to calm myself, I attempt to start counting... then I realize that this has gone on for well longer than 30 seconds already.  Then the pain subsides a little.  Little by little it's gone.

I head back to bed and am able to drift off into a comfortable night's sleep.

Comments

Popular Posts