University of Oregon


Dean & I drove down to Eugene, OR to see the U of Oregon Ducks take on the Purdue University Boilermakers in college football.  Our friend Julie is a Purdue alumni & Dean spent a year at Oregon, so it sounded like a really good idea to make the trip.  Plus, I'd never been to Eugene, so why not?

Oregon is famous for it's track & field program so we ended up by the track.  The morning before the game, we walked over to the track & I was amazed.  I have never seen a professional track and this one was beautiful.  The in-field was dedicated to field events (not a football or soccer field).  There was a steeplechase pit.  There were lights & bleachers.  It was beautiful.

On the way into the stadium, the walls held plaques commemorating all the Olympic champions that attended the University of Oregon as well as the world records set on the track and a commemoration of US Olympic trials held there.  For a high school track star, this was like walking into a dream.

"Honey," I said.  "I think baby should come here for school."

Dean smiled and I started dreaming about watching my baby win Olympic gold medals.

The day didn't end there, of course.  We spent the next 6 hours in a bar watching college football.  While everyone else was drinking, I took a nap (the bar had these amazing couches along the wall!).  After my nap, I went outside with Dean & Paul for some fresh air & sunshine.  Spend 4 hours with people while they are drinking and some we find ways to amuse ourselves.  This is my impersonation of a table:

It was over 90 degrees outside & the cold beer on my belly felt super good.  Our friend Jim (pictured pointing at the beer above) was so excited about the baby... at some point during the afternoon, he actually removed my hand from my belly so he could feel the baby moving.  If it had been anyone else (like a stranger - which kinda happened a little later on in the day), I would have been annoyed or angry.  But Jim is such a good friend and his excitement for us was so genuine, I kinda loved it.

Thanks for the photo, Marla!

Comments

Popular Posts