My letter to the School Board about banned books

My School Board is voting tonight whether or not to ban the book A Place Inside Me. Here's the letter I sent pleading with the 2 members I work with on the School Board's Equity committee to vote to keep this book:

I wish I knew what you were thinking about this vote. As always, I am available to chat if you want to hear my opinion. You already know what I am going to say but allow me to plead with you. If this is a vote about banning this book from schools, I am going to beg that you vote to keep this book in schools.
At it's core, the book is a story about a little Black boy working through his emotions. As the mother of a little Black boy, I can only wish that he would vocalize his emotions. Alas, he does not have that gift. Most little boys his age don't if my boy mom peers are to be believed. The author specifically chose a Black boy as the protagonist of the book because boys are rarely centered in stories about their emotions. And Black boys are aged up and made dangerous at an age that is far too young.
For Black families like mine, this story is a personal. It is a story I feel. One my brothers, my father and his grandfather have experienced. It is a story the reality of these times means my son will have to face sooner rather than later. And this terrifies me. Not having this book on the shelves helps families like mine - and all families from underrepresented groups who go through similar trials - know that we are not alone.
For white families, this book may be uncomfortable in places. But that is okay. White families can reflect on the story and understand that their version of reality is a far cry from the reality of people who may be living next door. As the chair of the Equity committee, I would be more than happy to talk with any white family who is sincerely interested in discussing the themes of the book and the lived experiences and fears of Black mothers of Black boys.
I know we spoke briefly about this book months ago in CEAB. I hope that if you have any other concerns about this book that you will reach out to me before choosing the ban this book. 
If you already plan to vote to keep the book, I thank you as a Black mother to a Black son, as a Hanover resident and as your partner on the Community Equity Advisory Board.

Comments

Popular Posts